Global Social Business Summit
"Only if we imagine a better world, we will ultimately also create it. If we on the other hand develop no imagination, then we cannot change anything."
With these words Prof. Muhammad Yunus opened the Global Social Business Summit at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg from 4-5 November 2010, addressing over 300 decision makers from 47 nations.
Having their vision in mind, they shared their creativity, reflecting and discussing for two days together on social business and a new economic way of thinking. Several formats framed the annual gathering of the social business community: 19 different topic oriented workshops; a public speech of Prof. Yunus and acclaimed author Paulo Coelho; panel discussions with social business pioneers and investors; a marketplace with 20 existing social business initiatives as well as the German film premiere of "To catch a dollar: Muhammad Yunus banks on America" are just a few highlights of this unforgettable event.
Program / Agenda
The Global Social Business Summit 2010 was a 2-day congress with the following agenda:
4 November 2010
with Otto Ferdinand Wachs (Autostadt GmbH),
Hans Reitz (The Grameen Creative Lab GmbH)
and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Prof. Muhammad Yunus
10:45 a.m. – 04:00 p.m.
Social Business Focus Groups are a unique opportunity to use inter-disciplinary dialogue to foster innovative solutions for core issues in social business. Small, theme-specific working groups will mix experts from leading companies with innovative thinkers from top universities, and fresh young talent with experienced practitioners. By switching participants between groups, ideas and people will make new and rewarding connections. The themes of the Focus Groups will reflect the personal interests that participants highlight in their registration documents. The following themes will be on offer:
• Financing social business
• Legal aspects of social business
• Social business and charity
• Healthcare as social business
• Education as social business
• Nutrition as social business
• Drinking water as social business
• Social business in environment and energy
• Application of IT & telecoms in social business
• Social business to address the problems of marginalized groups
• Social business for post-crisis rebuilding
• Road maps for social business in France, Germany, Japan, UK and USA
• Funds and other ways of financing social business
• Social business for the empowerment of women
• Social business in Africa
• Communicating social business
• Microcredit as social business
04:00 p.m. – 07:00 p.m.
The meeting place for specialists: the Social Business Expert Meetings are an excellent occasion to meet other people who share the same background and are involved with social business worldwide – an ideal way to share experiences, know-how, and to make global contacts. Specialized Social Business Expert Meetings are planned for the following participants:
07:30 p.m. – 09:00 p.m.
Prof. Yunus with author and social business ambassador Paulo Coelho
5 November 2010
10:55 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Social Business Panel 1:
“Social business – A question of leadership?”
12:00 p.m. – 03:00 p.m.
Marketplace of Social Business
guided tour followed by free flow
In the Social Business Marketplace you can find out about innovative ideas, new projects and ground-breaking best practices that ingeniously put the concept of social business into practice. Thanks to a guided tour as well as the „free flow“ event afterwards, you will gain a representative overview of social businesses worldwide and will also have the unique opportunity to meet and discuss with people who are directly involved in these businesses. The Social Business Marketplace will introduce you the following:
• The Grameen joint venture partners
• The „Holistic Social Business Movements“ of Caldas(Colombia), Haiti and Albania
• Social Business @ Universities
• …and many more besides
03:00 p.m. – 04:00 p.m